A Thirst To Spend My Fire and Restless Force Tracking My True, Original Course

But often, in the world's most crowded streets,
But often, in the din of strife,
There rises an unspeakable desire
After the knowledge of our buried life;
A thirst to spend our fire and restless force
In tracking out our true, original course;

- Matthew Arnold
The Buried Life

6/16/2011

New Blog.... The Buried List Journey

So, I created this blog back in 2006 as part of a class assignment to learn about blogging. It didn't catch on at first, but I have to admit, now I am addicted. I have my primary blog, which is pretty much just about my life journey as wife and mother... and second mom (a.k.a. teacher) to 140 something teenagers. 


But I decided that I need a second blog to document something that has become somewhat of a passion for me. My buried list journey. I've decided to use this one... because it was so appropriately named. I named it after a song that has been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it. The lyrics speak for themselves of my feelings on life:
I've been here so long, I think that it's time to move
The winter's so cold, summer's over too soon
Let's pack our bags and settle down where palm trees grow

I've got some friends, some that I hardly know
But we've had some times, I wouldn't trade for the world
We chase these days down with talks of the places that we will go

We live on front porches and swing life away,
We get by just fine here on minimum wage
If love is a labor I'll slave till the end,
I won't cross these streets until you hold my hand....until you hold my hand


In early Spring 2010, I started watching the show "The Buried Life," and I was instantly hooked. Something about the show, the concept, the 4 guys... it just resonated with me. It was like, "These guys get it."  I blogged about it back in May 2010. And so I decided to write out my list. I totally already had it in my head. I was constantly saying, "Before I die, I want to..." and so I decided it just needed to be written. Although the buried life guys came up with 100, I could only come up with 50 (although it has started to grow). 


In 2010... I crossed nothing off. I think I was just waiting for opportunities to arise to cross something off, and guess what? They did not come. Barbara Bush once said, "You just don't luck into things as much as you'd like to think you do. You build step by step, whether it's friendships or opportunities.
 Couldn't be more true.

So this year, I set the goal of being intentional about trying to cross off as many as possible, and thus, I search for opportunities and I build them, step by step. It has been a beautiful journey. I crossed my first item off when I saw "Love" in Vegas in April.

I also took another cue from The Buried Life guys, and I decided to help others cross items off of their lists. I created a research assignment for my students, and they attempted it too. More about that later.

Anyhow... so this is my new blog. A blog about living life to its fullest.

No comments: