A Thirst To Spend My Fire and Restless Force Tracking My True, Original Course

But often, in the world's most crowded streets,
But often, in the din of strife,
There rises an unspeakable desire
After the knowledge of our buried life;
A thirst to spend our fire and restless force
In tracking out our true, original course;

- Matthew Arnold
The Buried Life

3/10/2014

#103 Get Back on Stage

I added this to my buried list back in 2011, when it had already been far too long.  It's 2014, and I am back on stage, in Willy Wonka, and it is everything I remembered it to be and so much more.
I love listening to the sound of the audience chatter before the show starts and trying to guess how full the house is. I love the energy  and the adrenaline of standing backstage before making your first entrance. I love the feeling I get when I get a laugh on stage. I love being someone else, someone delightfully obnoxious for just a couple of hours at a time. I love when a tiny goof is made with so much grace and so much ensembleriffic beauty that no one but us even knows the mistake was made. I love quoting lines from the show in strange ways that make me laugh. I love making friends who "get" me in a way that really no one else does, like they understand the part of me that is the most special part of my soul.

The only thing I don't love... is the chore of taking off stage make-up.

 Nothing in the world feels better than setting your mind to something you know you want, setting out to accomplish it, pushing hard, and seeing it through.

No comments: