A Thirst To Spend My Fire and Restless Force Tracking My True, Original Course

But often, in the world's most crowded streets,
But often, in the din of strife,
There rises an unspeakable desire
After the knowledge of our buried life;
A thirst to spend our fire and restless force
In tracking out our true, original course;

- Matthew Arnold
The Buried Life

6/18/2011

The List- In Progress (and will be updated as it comes)

My “buried” list

1. Spend a week lying on a remote-ish tropical beach drinking delicious drinks and swimming in warm water.   

2. Visit Venice and eat real Italian food and gelato.

3. Experience Mardi Gras in New Orleans.   (February 2012!)

4. Sit in a Jacuzzi, in my backyard, sipping pink champagne, eating chocolate covered strawberries.

5. Spend a summer in Romania with the orphans. Maybe bring one home.

6. Learn to dance hip hop.

7. Be in a stage version of Hair.

8. Learn to surf.   

9. Be in a movie.

10. Write a recommendation letter for a student to go to an Ivy League school  (December 2010 Estefani & Cynthia, but neither got accepted)… and see him/her actually get accepted and attend (and ideally graduate)

11. Bless another teacher with something really awesome. (June 2011 - Going into details would kind of ruin this, but this was far easier than I thought. I forgot how much little things mean to us poor teachers).

12. Take a group of students to work with orphans in a 2nd or 3rd world country.

13. Get published in something real… like in print… not just on the internet. (April 2012 - Acorn Letter to the Editor)

14. Go to a protest for something I truly believe in.

15. See Alaska in the summer, when it doesn’t get dark (and isn’t cold).

16. Direct Rent with a perfect cast and as much time and money as I need to make it perfect.

17. Be in a Shakespeare play as a lead role.

18. Make homemade tortillas.

19. Spend 2 hours floating happily in a lazy river.

20. Cruise the Caribbean, stopping at several different islands.

21. Spend a week at Disney World at a nice resort, with a meal plan and everything, not having to worry about money while we are there.

22. Be on the Amazing Race.

23. Convince my mom and dad to go out of the United States, preferably on a mission trip. I would ideally like to come too, but will consider this one accomplished if they go without me.

24. Be in a Flash dance mob.

25. Grow enough vegetables to make a complete salad.  (Working on it... Summer 2012)

26. Completely and totally surprise Marc with an unbelievable gift.

27. Go to the airport on a random Friday and take the first flight out on Southwest, no matter where it goes (like in Yes Man).

28. Camp in Encinitas for a week with a really awesome RV. I am eliminating this one by choice. I no longer want to do it. I have decided RV camping is overrated. 

29. Own a Jacuzzi.

30. Learn Spanish… like, fluently.

31. Tour Jerusalem.

32. Go to the Olympics (just to watch, hopefully to watch Marc)

33. Write a letter to the president and my congressmen about something that is really, really important to me. Hopefully get a response.

34. Sit in a tropical waterfall (I have to say tropical, because I have done this in the mountains, but I want to do it in a warm one). Road to Hana: October 2011



35. Drive across America, coast-to-coast

36. Go whitewater rafting through the Grand Canyon.

37. Be in the pit at a Green Day concert.

38. See a concentration camp in person.

39. See Phantom of the Opera professionally (like on Broadway, but LA or Vegas would work) January 2012!



 40. See the Cirque de Soleil show “Love”    April 2011 - See blog for details; it was amazing!

41. Go kayaking in the ocean.  


42. Visit the Channel Islands.

43. Hike a volcano.  (October 2011: Mt. Kilauea, Hawaii!)

44. See the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

45. Speak at an educator’s conference.

46. See Robin Williams do stand up comedy.

47. Go tubing in Kauai

48. Take my students on a totally awesome surprise field trip, probably funded by me.

49. Share my faith with students at my public school campus, somehow without getting fired.  Spring 2011 - Rather subtly, but found a few ways. We did a "relationship rating" activity while learning about drama, and when I modeled the activity, I rated God as my closest relationship and explained it. I even did it in front of an administrator, and I didn't get fired.... yet. Haha.   :-)

50. Plan a huge “thank you” banquet for youth pastors’ wives.

51. See the Hollywood sign up close and personal

52. Go to a foam party.

53. Ride a mechanical bull.  November 19, 2011


54. Try doing stand-up comedy in front of an audience.


55. See the aurora borealis


56. Visit India.


57. Zip line tour. 


58. Rent a house on the beach for a summer. 



59. Write my will.


60. Stay in one of those huts in Bora Bora or Tahiti or somewhere where the hut is actually IN the ocean.


61. Milk a cow.


62. Participate in a holli festival and throw colors.


63. Cross the intersection at Abby Road.


64. See a play in the  Globe Theater in England.


65. Le tour d'effiel.


66. Write a book. Get it published. 

67.  Have a BMI that is NOT overweight.

68. Walk through a real corn field.

69. Run a half marathon.

70. Meet Johnny Depp.

71. Have a meal (or even coffee would do) with Shawn Achor.

72. Go to a real TED conference.

73. Go on a murder mystery dinner cruise.

74. Take Tracy and the kids to all my favorite so-cal destinations.

75. Go wine tasting in a vineyard.

76. Do a real "spa day," with multiple treatments, preferably with friends.

77. Have a massage in a cabana on the beach.

78. Stay at the Grand Wailea, just for a night.

79. Give a flower to a stranger.

80. Slide on the slide rocks in Arizona.

81. See Niagra Falls.

82. Spend the night at Disneyland (one can dream)

83. Visit Stratford upon Avon.

84. Put on an amazing production of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged.

85. Teach at a university.

86. Get a standing ovation.

87. Learn to play "Good Riddance" on the guitar.

88. See the pyramids of Egypt.

89. Run for school board.

90. See Vinny perform a solo for a real audience.

91. Commit a crime of civil disobedience for a really just cause.

92. Give my mom a truly amazing, truly unexpected present.

93.  Become a regular composter.

94. Dress up like a Disney princess. Like really, unmistakably. Go out in public.

95. Be able to see a Broadway show, open the program, point to a name, and say to the person next to me, "Yeah, I was his/her drama teacher."

96. Get invited to a former student's college graduation. (And actually go).

97.  Visit Kingston, Jamaica. Honor Mr. Robert Nesta Marley.

98. Adopt a child.

99.  Coincidentally spot my sister in a background shot. (Like, without her telling me where to look).

100.  Meet the President of the United States.

101. Watch a Dodger game from a club suite.

102. Mud run.

103. Get back on stage....

No comments: