A Thirst To Spend My Fire and Restless Force Tracking My True, Original Course

But often, in the world's most crowded streets,
But often, in the din of strife,
There rises an unspeakable desire
After the knowledge of our buried life;
A thirst to spend our fire and restless force
In tracking out our true, original course;

- Matthew Arnold
The Buried Life

3/19/2013

#45 Speak at an educators' conference

In the fall, a colleague of mine submitted a proposal to present at a statewide conference for charter school teachers and administrators.  He had mentioned it to me to see if I wanted to submit a proposal too, but drowning in graduate school work, I ended up missing the deadline.

Well... he didn't miss the deadline and his presentation was about something that I have a LOT of experience with -- using non-profit organizations as a resource for authentic instruction.  Knowing that this is an area I have some expertise in, he asked me to partner with him in his presentation. I was thrilled. 

The week before, I went through all of my resources and came up with some good stuff, including photos, and then the night before he and I stayed up until about 1am preparing our Powerpoint and getting prepared, but it really paid off. 

The presentation went really well and we got a lot of good feedback.  I went to a lot of other sessions at the conference, and I really feel that ours was high quality and of great use to teachers.  This was sort of a watermark moment for me. Even though I have always viewed myself as a "teacher leader," I really had only thought of myself as being a leader at the school level, but this really made me believe that I could be a leader at a higher level too.  Not like I want to become an administrator -- I don't.  I just think that perhaps I could become someone like the greats I read about and brag about, people like Kelly Gallagher or Cris Tovani or Penny Kittle. 

Maybe someday. 

No comments: