A Thirst To Spend My Fire and Restless Force Tracking My True, Original Course

But often, in the world's most crowded streets,
But often, in the din of strife,
There rises an unspeakable desire
After the knowledge of our buried life;
A thirst to spend our fire and restless force
In tracking out our true, original course;

- Matthew Arnold
The Buried Life

6/19/2012

#18 Make Homemade Tortillas

When Marc and I were just friends, we used to go to Acapulco a lot for lunch. They had a cheap lunch buffet that included a taco bar where a woman would stand and make the tortillas fresh and you could fill them with meat and salsa and stuff. LOVED that taco bar, and I felt like it was the fresh, homemade tortillas that really made it so good, and I've wanted to make my own ever since.

Let's face it... just about everything tastes better homemade. My old play group once had a "homemade only" potluck. I think that was my favorite potluck.

So, I decided that this week was the week. I was gonna do it. My friend Tanya said she wanted in on it, which was great, because buried life tasks are so much more fun when they are done in the company of friends. Her husband Craig picked up some carne asada from a little Mexican butcher near his work, and they came over this afternoon. We experimented. We read a recipe online and the recipe on the bag of masa, and sort of just went for it. The first batch was awful. We misread the amount of salt. They tasted like play-doh pancakes. So, we dumped that dough and tried again.


The next batch was okay, but when we tasted them, we realized that we were making them too thick. They were too doughy. So, we made the balls smaller, smooshed them harder, and tried again. The tortilla press really makes a lot of sense now. Smooshing them with plates worked, but it was a LOT of work. I really enjoyed making my own tortillas, but I think I need to buy a tortilla press if I want to do it again. It would make it much faster and easier.

We had such a fun time. It was great. I made two homemade salsas to have with it -  a roast corn one and a pico de gallo, both full of delicious stuff from my garden.



 






What a meal. It was, as Tanya called it, a meal that really touched our souls. 

No comments: